The Palm House was originally designed by Decimus Burton in 1848 and was most recently re-furbished in the late 1980’s. Climate Controls Ltd was appointed to supply and install the ventilation equipment and environment controls for the restoration.
The entire superstructure and glazing was replaced according to Burton’s 1848 original design. As this conservatory is a listed building, there could be no alterations made to the outward appearance of Decimus Burton’s original structure. As such, all replacement items made had to be identical to those already in place.
New low level ventilators were installed and each area of ventilation was automated. Although this house was not computerised as part of the restoration, it was subsequently decided to install the Climate Controls CAE PowerStation control system to ensure the optimum environment was maintained throughout the year. The computer controls the heating, ventilation and fogging systems in the three zones. A CAE PowerNet computer system is installed for remote control and historical data management.